The Onota building was constructed in 1928 on the site of the old Baptist Church. It is a rather typical example of a simple commercial building of the period, pleasing to the eye with some detailing, but rather restrained in its design. As one of the tallest buildings on North Street, it occupies a prominent position in the street-scape, its trademark, the four inlaid pillars on the facade.
The Onota building has served as an anchor on North Street since its construction. Through the mid-20th century, it formed part of a chain of successful commercial businesses that drew people to shop and work downtown.
On the National Register of Historic Places, this stately building is now back in service and offers high-end apartments, retail and a space which can host gallery shows and performances.
Pittsfield planners back $14 million plan for apartments in Onota Building
Allegrone Set To Renovate Pittsfield's Onota Building
Allegrone Finishes Redevelopment of Historic Onota Building
Allegrone Wraps Up Redevelopment of Onota Building